Hellebore flowers are beautiful and useful plants, but you have to know what they are, and you couldn’t find many people who had any idea. Thus, here we provide a little bit of background on Hellebore. Hellebore flowers are members of the genus Helleborus, there being at least 17 species in that genus.
Hellebore flower photos:
So, in order to put them in context:
- There are about 27 species of hellebores
- About 15 species have been described by Linnaeus (1753-1775)
- Helleborus is the genus name
- Helleborus means “lion-hair”
So that is a lot of information. We’ll take it one step at a time (or maybe two steps if you like). You’ll need to know the following:
- What is a hellebore flower?
- What does it smell like? What does it taste like? How does it grow? Where is it from?